Les and Sam Gruber opened the London Chop House in 1938 in the basement of the Murphy Telegraph Building. It was the top restaurant in Detroit and world-renowned. Everyone who was anyone dined at the "Chopper". The Gruber brothers opened the London Chop House North, directly across the street to handle the overflow of patrons, and the Caucus Club was born in 1952. The sister restaurant to the London Chop House has always been dark and clubby. Always busy at lunch. Judges, lawyers, Ad-Exec's, Stockbrokers, Bankers and Downtowners know it as the place to make and celebrate a deal!
The Caucus Club has had many celebrities cross its door. The most famous would have to be Barbra Streisand who sang in the back room in 1961. Brought here from New York, the Caucus Club was one of Streisand first paying jobs. She was young and inexperienced performer. "Watching her was like watching the first brush strokes in a picture, she was creating herself." Les Gruber. Streisand left Detroit for an appearance on the Tonight Show with Jack Parr, and the rest is history!
Although the Caucus Club has never been a private club, until 1971 The Caucus Club like many other downtown spots was a men's only dining spot. Luckily women broke that barrier, because the Caucus Club has been owned by a woman since 1993.
The Caucus Club's classic cuisine has been recognized with many awards of distinction. Bobby Flay and his "Food Nation" visited Detroit and featured Caucus Club SautÃ©ed Lake Perch and Oysters in Champagne Sauce. The television program can still be seen on the Food Network now and then!
Read More: Detroit Restaurant Reviews
Sorry, there are currently no reviews.
Read More Detroit Restaurant Reviews